What is Email Marketing?
When a company sends out promotions, advertisements, or other calls to action via email, it is engaging in email marketing. Any email with this type of content can be considered email marketing, and the goal is usually to either reach new customers or to build and enhance the relationship between the company and its current client base. This is all in the hopes of gaining customer trust and loyalty and a willingness to engage in repeat business. Whether it is sending a newsletter or raising awareness of a promotion or event, email marketing is an easy and effective method of getting your message out.
Advantages of Email Marketing
When comparing email marketing to other types of traditional or digital marketing, email marketing has some notable benefits.
- You can track the exact return on investment. You can see how many people opened the email, and how many people took action.
- It is inexpensive to get started. A small business with a small client list can even get by using free email marketing software.
- It is an efficient and cost-effective way to test all different kinds of marketing content. Whether it is multimedia, newsletters or copywriting, email marketing lets you see what forms of marketing your customers react to best and which are ineffective.
- Around 90% of internet users in the US read and send emails.
- Compared to traditional mail, it is much cheaper and faster. Being able to automate parts of the workflow makes it far more efficient than the process of designing, printing and mailing traditional paper mail.
- You can reach people who choose to receive email communications and thus are much more likely to want to engage.
What to Look For In Email Marketing Software
The biggest attributes to look at when deciding between email marketing services is the cost, the ease of use, support, functionality and how many people you want to be reaching. Cost and numbers of emails and recipients are closely related. As you scale up the number of emails and subscribers, so to does the cost rise. Ease of use is how simple it is for you to develop subscriber lists, create emails and set up automated responders, among other things. Support and functionality how good the service is at enabling you to do what you want to do. So which services should you choose? There are many good email marketing providers out there.
MailChimp and Constant Contact
- MailChimp is cheap and easy to use. In fact, MailChimp has a forever free plan that allows small business to send up to 12,000 emails per month to up to 2,000 subscribers. Paid plans start at $10 per month for 500 subscribers with unlimited messages and scale up from there, which you can calculate on their site. You can also set up pay-as-you-go plans, in which you pay per email and buy emails in the volume that is right for you.
- Setting up an account is easy and you can use a free account to try and test the various basic level features of an email marketing service. In addition to tinkering around for free, MailChimp also has an impressive array of guides and other learning resources to help get you up to speed. Moreover, they also offer email and live chat support if you ever have a question that you cannot find the answer to elsewhere. Additionally, MailChimp also offers simple analytics or you can link your account to Google Analytics to help plan and track your campaign.
- Constant Contact, on the other hand, only offers paid plans based on the number of subscribers, starting at $20 per month for 500 subs with discounts if you pay for a whole year in advance. However, you get your money’s worth with an excellent feature set that is extremely beginner friendly. You get easy to understand tracking and reporting, tons of premade templates sorted by industry and function, built-in social media tools, 1GB of personal storage and more. Constant Contact also offers unmatched support with both live chat and email, as well as an immense library of resources and guides on how to get your email campaign off the ground. They offer a 60-day free trial in order to help you get a feel for the service.
Have More Questions About Email Marketing?
Email marketing is one of the most cost-effective ways to keep customers engaged with your company. It is something every small business should consider in order to promote their brand. If you have any questions or concerns with regards to starting an email campaign or revamping an existing one, feel free to contact us at JSMT Media.