One of the most important features of any site is website security. As more people perform information transactions everyday, the more onus there is on websites to guarantee the safety of their visitors’ information. Even the slickest website will be unable to retain customers if they fail to offer the security people expect. If you do not offer users a safe experience, they will move on to a business with a web presence that does.
Important Aspects of Website Security
Here are some of the most of important and easy to implement website security features to help maintain a safe and protected web experience.
- SSL Certificate – SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer and it is a protocol designed to encrypt data running between a web browser and a web server that has an SSL certificate installed on it. This helps safeguard information like passwords, credit card info, social security numbers, and medical records from potential hackers. Web pages shielded this way will have https:// in the URL bar, which stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure. A secure website will also positively impact search rankings for your website.
- Up to Date Website – Old scripts or plugins on your website can be security risks. Hackers will try to exploit loopholes in older versions of your site’s software to try and compromise the site’s integrity. Avoid this by keeping on top of the latest updates for WordPress and whatever themes and plugins you are using. If updating a website breaks it, either you or your developer did something wrong.
- Strong Passwords – This one may seem obvious but its bears mentioning. Any password associated with your site should be complex. Passwords for your servers or website admin areas should be long and made of an assortment of letters, numbers and special characters. Making use of a password generator can help you produce strong passwords quick and easy. Require that all members of staff adhere to this password advice. Your site is only as secure as its weakest password.
- Login Blocking – To avoid brute force efforts to login to your site or its admin areas using automated programs, implement a login blocking feature. This limits the numbers of times a user can attempt to login before their IP is blocked
- Limit Access to Site Back End – Limit who has access to your site. This includes old developers or past employees or anyone else that is no longer involved with the site.
- Hosting Companies – It is important to choose a good hosting company with secure data centers and servers. We recommend WP Engine, as they are a dedicated WordPress hosting company.
- Site Backups – In the event of the worse case scenario where your site is compromised, having site backups can allow you to roll back your site to a previous healthy version. WP Engine offers daily automatic backups as well as the ability to manually back your site up whenever the need arises
Need to Know More About Website Security?
Website security is one of the most important aspects of creating a good, lasting online impression. Contact JSMT Media in order to learn more about how to protect yourself and your customers.